15 Intriguing Facts About The State Of Digital Media
Digital media is changing so rapidly it’s hard to catch up.
GroupM, the world’s largest ad buyer, has come out with its annual opus on the state of digital media, “Interaction 2013.” The 67-page report comes complete with dozens of charts and a stemwinding state-of-the-digital-world essay by chief digital officer Rob Norman. The report makes one thing is very clear: The global media environment is not only changing fast but also changing in interesting ways. What else to make of the incredibly high amount of online video consumed by Turks?
Below are 15 intriguing nuggets from the report. All data is via GroupM unless otherwise noted.
- 2 billion: Number of online video views for the 76 episodes of Chinese drama “Zhen Huan Zhuan.”
- 72: Number of hours of content that’s uploaded every minute to YouTube. (YouTube)
- 108 million: Number of Chinese viewers of mobile video.
- 7: Number of hours Chinese consumers on average watch video on their smartphones.
- 85 percent: Amount of smartphone/tablet owners who use their devices while watching TV at least once during the month (Nielsen)
- 50 percent: Amount of 18-24-year-old smartphone/tablet owners who use their devices while watching TV at least once during the month. (Nielsen)
- 30 percent: amount of the media day spent online, up from 21 percent in 2007
- 38 percent: amount of the media day spent with TV, down from 42 percent in 2007
- 28 hours: amount of online video consumed per month by the average Turkish Internet user
- 14 minutes: average amount of time spent globally by people on Facebook each day
- 14 percent: amount of GroupM’s paid media billings that were online
- 424 million: number of monthly unique users of Chinese social network qq.com
- 4 percent: increase in GroupM North America digital media spending from 2011 to 2012.
- $164: GroupM ad spending forecast per U.S. Internet user in 2012, up 7 percent from 2012
- 22 percent: amount GroupM’s North America CPG clients spend online, unchanged over the two previous years